They say that you never truly know a person until you have lived with them. I've heard it countless of times, but never really put much thought into it. Until last night ...

eight n' 1/2 and counting 
Mark and I have been together for almost nine years this July. We talk to each other every night and we text each other during the day. I can't remember a night when we didn't talk for at least about an hour or went to bed without saying goodnight to each other. We see each other on the weekends and if we're lucky, sometimes even during the week if our schedule allows it. We are at a point in our relationship where I can walk around the house without any make-up on, wear crappy "pambahay" (everyday) clothes and not worry about what he'll think of me. Let's just say that we're very comfortable with each other.

One thing that you have to know about Mark is that he's a very clean and organized guy. A trait that he inherited from his mom. If you think about it, there are not that many guys out there who has been blessed with this gift. So I know that I have been blessed to have a man who is like this.

As if God knows exactly what we need, He brings Mark a girl who is his opposite - ME! I can clean, laundry, vacuum etc., but I have a really bad habit of being "too busy" and I never getting around to doing it. OK, don't get me wrong, I really don't consider myself a slob, but I guess you can say that I'm more "laid back" about cleaning than Marky is.

With that said, Marky and I were talking about having pets once we move into an apartment together after we get married. Almost 7 years ago, I adopted a tabby kitty from my friend Jackie's dad's barn. She has been the only family pet all these years until we got Mika this January. I consider her to be my daughter. =) Lucky is free to roam around the house and sleep wherever she wants. One thing about her though is that she sheds a lot. This bugs the heck out of Mark. Only because they have 2 cats as well and the fur always drives him crazy! I can totally understand where he's coming from. I knew that if we were to take Lucky, I need to make sure that she's brushed all the time so that she's not shedding everywhere.

"dirty"
What fueled my anger last night though when we were arguing about having pets is the fact that he said he doesn't want Lucky to sleep on our bed. He says that "she's dirty"! This just drove me nuts because I knew it wasn't true. Yes, she sleeps on the floor and on the carpet where we walk all the time, but so do dogs. And they oftentimes sleep with their master! Lucky is an indoor cat and hardly ever goes outside. One of the things about cats is that they really know how to clean themselves. They're very self sufficient like that. I know that Lucky is not dirty at all.

To top it all off, when Mark sleeps over, he sleeps on my bed and I sleep with my sister in her room. The thing is, Lucky has been sleeping on my bed this whole time and he never had a problem about it! I told him that it was all in his head. When he didn't know that Lucky has been sleeping on my bed, he didn't think anything was wrong with the bed or that it was "dirty". Now that he knows, it's a complete 360!

To make the long story short, I can now say that until you have lived with somebody everyday, you will never truly get to know them. I guess what I'm scared of is that I can't live up to his expectations. I'm not a cook and compared to him, I'm too laid back about cleaning. I know that these are my weaknesses and that I should look at this as a motivation to be better. To become a better cook and clean more often; I guess become a better wife and mom in the future.

I guess it's better that I know now, then I can work on things before we get married. Honestly though, getting married actually scares me now. It's exciting and scary at the same time ... I guess I just don't want to fail. Hopefully, I can live up to be the "wife" that he wanted to marry.

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts